What is my lymphatic system? Facts and symptoms of an unhealthy one. And why manual lymphatic drainage massage isn’t just great for after surgery, but for overall general health maintenance.
Learn more about the lymphatic system, how it’s important for your overall health, and signs that you may be living with an unhealthy lymphatic system, and why MLD may be bright for you!
The lymphatic system is one of the body’s most important systems. It helps fight infection, removes waste products from the body, and helps keep the immune system working properly. The lymphatic system is made up of a network of organs and tissues that help move lymph fluid through the body. Lymph fluid contains white blood cells that help fight infection and other toxins. If the lymphatic system isn’t working properly, it can cause problems such as swollen arms or legs, frequent infections, or even cancer, it is the sewage system of the body. So it’s important to know how your lymphatic system works and what you can do to keep it healthy!
Here are some quick facts about your lymphatic system
- Our lymph nodes communicate with us when something isn’t right. Swelling of the lymph nodes is one sign that the body is fighting an infection.
- There are about 700 lymph nodes in your body and 1/3 of them are in your neck.
- Sans your cartilage, hair, and nails, your entire body is bathed in lymphatic fluid.
- Your lymphatic system is a continuous loop throughout your entire body.
- You have over 15 liters of lymphatic fluid in your body at any given time, 3x your volume of blood.
- Lymphatic fluid defends your body and escorts foreign bodies out of your body.
- The human body would no longer be able to function if our system stopped working in only 24-48 hours.
Signs and symptoms that your lymphatic system isn’t working properly
- Chronic pain, fatigue, or stiffness
- Morning stiffness
- Painful and swollen lymph nodes
- Bad breath
- Bloating in your face and abdomen
- Varicose veins
- Poor sleep
- Swollen limbs, fingers and toes
- Chronic fatigue
- Cold hands and feet
- Weight gain, swings in weight
If you have a gut issue, you likely have a lymphatic system issue!
Manual Lymphatic drainage massage is not only great for after surgery. If you have any of the above health concerns it’s definitely worth considering for your health needs. This type of massage has a variety of benefits that can help with everything from detoxification to reducing swelling, improve sleep, and more. Our team at Luxura Medspa would be happy to discuss the options available to you and book an appointment for a consultation so you can start feeling better today. We think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by all MLD has to offer!